Saturday, October 31, 2009

If I have extra cash, should I pay down my mortgage, or invest it?

I have 6% fixed 30 year loan. I don%26#039;t have big cash laying around, because I have already put some money on the house. Ideas? To me I think putting it on the house is better, because it%26#039;s much less risky.



If I have extra cash, should I pay down my mortgage, or invest it?debt consolidation





Pay on your mortgage so you don%26#039;t have to worry about losing your home.There are lots of people losing their homes %26amp; it may not get better any time soon.Be smart,not homeless!



If I have extra cash, should I pay down my mortgage, or invest it? loan



You should pay down your mortgage. With a 30 yr loan, you end up paying soooo much in interest that it is better to get it paid off as soon as you can.|||Pay down your mortgage....Over time, this will decrease the amount of interest that you will have to pay on your mortgage loan.|||i would pay down my mortgage if i were you. that way you are ahead a lil bit :)|||Can you earn more than 6% on the investment you intend to make? If you can earn more than the interest rate you are paying, then in the long run you make out by investing it.|||yep and it%26#039;s an investment right there so you kill two birds with one stone hun,



good luck|||If there%26#039;s something that offers higher than the 6% with a minimum level of risk..Invest.|||You should:



0) Pay off all consumer (not mortgage) debt.



1) Establish an emergency fund of at least 3 months expenses



2) Ensure your cash flow exceeds your expenses



3) Talk to an hourly fee based financial planner to see which is best for your scenario, since everyones situation is different. That is, if you don%26#039;t know the answer to your question already for your situation you should hire some unbiased help.|||Before I answer your question, I have a question for you.



Do you have an emergency fund that will cover your expenses for three to six months? If not, then that is where I would put my extra money. After you have an emergency fund (not in a savings account that pays really low interest, use a money market or credit union), then decide if you can make more than 4-6% on the money by investing it. If you can, then go for the investment. If you can%26#039;t, then pay down the mortgage on your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive